Sewer Line Repair Services in La Porte, IN
The sewer line is the unseen, unsung hero of your domestic plumbing system, carrying wastewater away from the house to its intended destination. Sewer lines may become blocked or cracked, and these conditions may have serious consequences for the health and safety of your family.
Untreated sewer line problems may even affect the structure and livability of your home. Such problems never repair themselves. Uncorrected sewer line defects often lead to more serious and expensive repairs.
What is a Sewer Line?
The plumbing system has two essential functions: to bring in clean water and distribute it within the house, and to carry away wastewater and sewage. In locales with public sewers, household wastewater drains into the city system. Otherwise, wastewater travels to the septic tank. In both cases, the wastewater is carried from the house to its destination via an underground pipe called a sewer line or lateral. Sewer lines are installed such that gravity carries the effluent away from the house.
Although the sewer line has a long lifespan, it is vulnerable to forces that may cause it to clog or crack. The good news is that sewer line problems nearly always provide clear warning signs.
Warning Signs Your Sewer Line Needs Repair
The most obvious indication of a problem is a major sewage backup. This worst-case-scenario is nearly always preceded by less catastrophic warning signs, such as:
- Foundation Settling or Cracks. A damaged sewer line allows wastewater to collect beneath your home. Over time, this seepage may cause foundation settling or cracking. This is a serious matter and requires immediate attention.
- Toilets gurgle or bubble. Toilets are an early warning device, providing two red flags. First, a gurgling or bubbling sound when at rest indicates sewer line blockage. Second, if flushing an unclogged toilet causes water or raw sewage backup, there is blockage downstream in the system.
- New and Suspicious Yard Conditions. A broken sewer line further away from the house reveals itself in the yard. First, isolated patches of bright green grass, or visibly more dense growth of grass and weeds, may appear in proximity to the sewer line. A leak provides extra water and nutrients which cause luxurious growth. Foul odors may be present. Second, changes may occur in the yard or in outside improvements. Visible flooding may appear, or the grass may become saturated and spongy. Sudden depressions may appear in the yard, driveway, or patio, showing that the earth beneath is unstable. Often these depressions appear in the vicinity of the sewer line. These sinkholes are warnings you should not ignore.
- Slow Drainage/Frequent back-ups or clogs. An occasional isolated clogged toilet or drain is part of domestic life, but frequent clogs or backups are not and suggest a deeper problem. Sewer line blockages restrict the proper flow rate of wastewater from the house. A sewer line blockage is indicated if several or all drains are simultaneously slowed or blocked.
- Uninvited Guests Appear. The humidity and smell caused by a broken sewer line attract mice, rats, and insects.
- Mold Appears. Sewer line defects might cause mold and mildew growth on interior walls. A moldy or musty scent is also a tip-off, especially if the odor is stronger around the drains.
- Sewage Odors. Indoor sewer gas suggests that solid waste is trapped in the sewer line. Plumbing systems are designed to prevent these gases from entering the house, so their presence should never be ignored.
Common Homeowner Mistakes
The most common homeowner mistakes are denying a problem exists, hoping it will disappear, or using an ineffective do-it-yourself remedy. Sewer line problems never disappear by themselves; they only become more serious and expensive. Harsh, store-bought chemicals will never remedy a sewer line problem.
Regular Professional Cleaning
Sewer line problems may cause catastrophic damage to your home and property. The best preventive measure is routine professional cleaning. This service is affordable, and our professionals will check that the sewer system works as designed.
Sewer Line Repair Near La Porte
For years, we have set the standard in the La Porte area by providing exceptional customer service at unbeatable prices. In fact, we guarantee to match or beat any price on any plumbing service or repair.
Summers Plumbing Heating & Cooling is the trusted team that you can count on for all of your residential and commercial plumbing needs. We guarantee prompt, friendly service and the best prices in all of La Porte, IN.
We are available 24/7 for emergency services. If you experience a sewer line problem, don’t settle for less. Telephone Summers Plumbing at 219.797.6185.